Thursday, July 10, 2008

Torture

OK! So, for the past 3 days I have been determined to do something about my physical appearance. I have 50 pounds to lose that I cannot blame on my 4 month old anymore. I was this same weight before I got pregnant with him, so it's time to do something. I have started walking/running 2 miles a day. The first day I started out with my 7 year old on his bike and I walked at a comfortable pace while he rode ahead of me and then waited for me to catch up. After 3 laps around my neighborhood with a few spurts of jogging, I was winded but still ok. I came inside the house to stretch and cool down and thought I had done well and felt somewhat accomplished until I realized it took me an hour to complete 2 miles. I think turtles move faster. snails possibly. My husband so graciously informed me that the Army standards only allow 32 minutes for a female to complete the 2 mile walk for those on a profile. Great, so I was going to have to push a little harder. OK, doesn't sound too bad does it? Whatever! I started out at a more brisk pace with the stroller while my husband lagged behind with Shane on his bike. I wasn't 3/4 of the way around the 1st loop when my legs felt like they were going to spontaneously combust! My wonderful hubby took the stroller which seemed to help. I was only able to complete the 2nd loop based on the fact that my legs had gone completely numb from the pain! When I wanted to quit, I didn't, I decided to rest briefly by allowing my children to play at the little park down the street (which only made this trip longer by a 1/4 mile) We then finished the last lap barely before dark. When we came inside I calculated that it only took 45 minutes! Small improvement, great pain today! So I find my only comfort in my husband's motto of "pain is weakness leaving the body" Why can't we just lose weight without doing anything? I want a diet and exercise plan that allows me to sit on my butt and eat whatever I want and get back into my pre-children clothes. Is that really so much to ask?

No comments: